Saturday, March 31, 2012

Drywall

Drywall is a tough job. It is the job I don't like to get myself into. Actually, I tend to (ahem) disappear when this starts. That is why I am so thankful for this fella:


Papa Joe!
The master professional drywaller.
He works hard all day long on the job only to show up at our house to help us. Drywallers get dusty, dirty, full of mud and plaster. They sweat all day long on the job. It is tough work and it takes a lot of skill to get the job done right. If you don't, there are such things as nail/screw pops. The nails or screws that were used, will work their way through the mud that was spread over them. On a very bad job, you can count every single pop! There are cracks in the drywall. There are mud and tape seams that show. If the corners aren't done correctly, they are very easily beaten up and will begin to literally crumble. I suggest you hire a skilled drywaller. They deserve the work and will leave you with a home absent of flaws...at least the drywall. But, they are not carpenters!
(Wannabe-wood-but-is-actually-gas-stove will be removed in the fall. That job requires professional work that is not in the budget. The stove will be sold to purchase accessories for the soon-to-be-completed media room.)


Papa Joe knew all about this little trick here to make a nice and tidy line up to the wood. We thought we were going to have to trim this wall silly with little pieces to hide the spaces between drywall and wood walls. I don't even know what this is called. I will have to ask him. But the walls are finished and they look fantastic!


Photo of future playspace. Unfinished and without sprayed texture. Still trying to decide on wall paint for this space. I was going to leave it white. I am concerned that I won't like the high contrast of the brown and white.


Another angle looking into the Guest bedroom from the playspace.


The texture -orange peel- is on the wall. I am sorry I don't have any photos of this process. I was working when that went down. The big guns that Joe uses to spray texture on the walls has some ooomph to it. Rhyan and Joe protected everything they could with taped paper and plastic sheeting.


This paper is about thirty-six inches wide. The spray ended up slightly passed that. It wasn't to bad and vacuumed right up once it was dry.  This carpet will need  pro cleaning anyway.


I wish I could get a good picture of the texture from the mud being sprayed on the walls, but I can't. The walls are now primed and ready for paint! I have to head to Home depot to get trim and our local Sauk Prairie Ace Hardware for the Benjamin Moore Woodgrain paint.


This is the finished look (before painting) of that area that runs right up to the wood millwork of the stairs. Papa Joe was right. It is dang near perfect!


No amount of demo will stop these gamers!


I barely had time to snap photos!

Thanks for stopping by!
~Emily







No comments:

Post a Comment